Greenville – On July 22, 2017, at approximately 8:45 a.m., troopers responded to a medical emergency occurring at 3826 Kennett Pike, Powder Mill Shopping Center, Greenville. Troopers, in the immediate area, quickly responded to the scene in an attempt to render aid, according to authorities.
Officials said upon arrival one subject was observed escorting a victim to the front of the building. After troopers initially accessed the victim they were then alerted by another subject from inside the building. A third victim was lying on the floor inside the business unconscious and was incoherent. After accessing the situation troopers realized that all three victims had possibly been exposed to carbon monoxide or some type of chemical and immediately requested the fire department to continue into the scene.
Troopers with the assistance of one victim removed another victim exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning from the building. Both Troopers then rendered aid to all three victims and turned them over to responding EMS units and New Castle County Paramedics, where they were evaluated for symptoms pertaining to suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. The investigation determined that three victims were working inside the building using a propane saw when carbon monoxide filled inside the building which started to adversely affect the victims and caused the medical emergency.
A 32-year-old male was transported for evaluation after complaining of a headache and being found unconscious in the building. A 48-year-old male was transported to the hospital for evaluation after suffering from an altered mental status. A 46 year old male was transported to the hospital for evaluation after complaining of a headache, dizziness and altered mental status. All patients were transported to the Emergency Department at Christiana Hospital on ambulances from the Cranston Heights, Belvedere and Five Points Fire Companies with a New Castle County Paramedic accompanying each patient. All patients were stable at the time of transport. All patients were taken to the Christiana Medical Center for further care and evaluation.
Representatives from the following assisted in clearing the building and ultimately making it safe: Delaware State Police, New Castle County Paramedics, Cranston Heights Fire Company, Talleyville Fire Company, Claymont Fire Company, Five Points Fire Company, Elsmere Fire Company, Belvedere Fire Company, and Holloway Terrace Fire Company.