Three Crashes Overnight Leave Two Dead, One Seriously Injured

Additional details may be available in the Facebook Fan Group or on the Supporter News Page.

Statewide – Delaware State Police are currently investigating three separate accidents that occurred early this morning, August 10, 2017, according to authorities.

1:15 AM

Farmington – The Delaware State Police Collision Reconstruction Unit is investigating a single vehicle fatal crash that claimed the life of a Milford man early this morning, according to Director of Public Information Sergeant Richard D. Bratz.

Bratz said the preliminary investigation determined the crash occurred at approximately 1:15 a.m., Sunday, September 10, 2017 as Harry D. Ulhorn, 46 of Milford, was operating a 1987 Chevrolet El Camino. He was traveling southbound on Farmington Road approaching the intersection at Main Street within the town limits of Farmington. The El Camino drove through the stop sign without braking and traveled off the south edge of the roadway. The vehicle traveled through a grass area before striking a large tree with the center of its front bumper.

Harry D. Ulhorn was not wearing a seatbelt and was pronounced dead at the scene. The right front passenger was wearing his seatbelt and was flown from the scene by Delaware State Police Aviation to the Christiana Hospital where he was admitted in critical condition.

The Collision Reconstruction Unit is continuing their investigation into this incident. Speed may have been a contributing factor although it is unknown if alcohol or drugs were factors in this crash.

Farmington Road at Main Street was shut down for approximately 2.5 hours while the crash was investigated and cleared.

3:58 AM

Newark –  The preliminary investigation determined the crash occurred at approximately 3:58 a.m.Sunday, September 10, 2017 as the driver of a 2008 Mercedes E350 was traveling northbound in the southbound lanes of SR 1 from the area of DE Rt. 72, according to Bratz. The vehicle drifted into the grass median and continued in a northerly direction until it struck a cement wall where SR 1 crosses over SR 273.  The Mercedes rebounded a short distance off of the wall and came to a stop in the median.  The vehicle subsequently caught fire and was extinguished by rescue personnel.

The driver who was not wearing his seatbelt and sustained serious injuries and was transported to Christiana Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The Collision Reconstruction Unit is continuing their investigation into this incident. The victim’s name is being withheld pending the notification of next of kin. It is unknown if alcohol or drug use on the part of the victim was a factor in the crash.

The left lane of DE Rt. 1 southbound was closed for approximately one hour while the crash was investigated and cleared.

4:03 AM

Newark- The initial investigation has determined the crash occurred at approximately 4:03 a.m., Sunday, September 10, 2017, on Otts Chapel Road at I95 and involves two vehicles. At this time it is unknown how many people are injured and the extent of their injuries. Reports from Delaware Breaking News indicate that Trooper 4 transported a patient to the hospital.

Otts Chapel Road in the area of the crash is closed and traffic is being diverted from the crash scene. Commuters are asked to find alternate routes of travel and should expect lengthy delays in the area.


Facebook Comments

Sign In For Unlimited Access

Please Log in, or sign up for a new account below to continue reading.


Support Us On Facebook

Facebook Supporter

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at

View all posts by Staff Writer →