In their final push to sell Newark residents on the $26 million dollar referendum, city officials have sent out mailers this week.
This week voters across the city will receive a 15 page high gloss four color mailer that explains city staff’s vision for Newark.
If passed the proposals would allow the city to take out a twenty year loan to pay for a $10 million dollar storm water pond and other public works projects.
The loan would then be paid back by increasing the new storm water fee that was added to resident’s water bill late last year.
The vote for the referendum will be held just days after the New Castle County Council voted to raise property taxes by a whopping 15%. It’s unclear if this will be a factor in next Tuesday’s vote.
The city referendum election is to be held on Tuesday, June 19, 2018. Polls open at 7:00 a.m. and close at 8:00 p.m.
The polling places for the election are as follows:
- District 1 – Wesleyan Church of Newark, 708 W. Church Road
- District 2 – Aetna Fire Station #8, 410 Ogletown Road
- District 3 – Aetna Fire Station #7, 7 Thorn Lane
- District 4 – First Church of Christ, Scientist, 48 W. Park Place
- District 5 – First Presbyterian Church, Memorial Hall, 292 W. Main Street
- District 6 – First Church of the Nazarene, 357 Paper Mill Road
- Non-resident property owners – Council Chamber, Newark Municipal Building, 220 S. Main Street