Goats, Chickens Die In Clayton Barn Fire Friday Morning

File

The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has determined that this morning’s fire just north of Clayton, Delaware was accidental, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.

Chionchio said the Clayton Fire Company responded to a report of a barn fire in the 1600 block of Harvey Straughn Road shortly after 3:00 am. Firefighters arrived on the scene with an active fire inside a 30-foot by 40-foot barn used for the care and shelter of animals.

Deputy fire marshals were called to the scene to conduct the investigation. Chionchio said the fire began when a heat lamp, used to keep the barn warm, accidentally ignited nearby hay. The hay spread the flames throughout the barn.

Heavy fire damage was estimated at $6,000. Several animals were able to escape the fire, however, four goats and six chickens perished. No other injuries were reported.


Sign In For Unlimited Access

Please Log in, or sign up for a new account below to continue reading.

Register


About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →

Get alerted to breaking news when it happens. Subscribe Now