Fried Chicken Accident Sets Living Room Ablaze

North East Volunteer Fire

Cecil County, Md. – On Saturday, June 1, 2019, firefighters with the North East Volunteer Fire Company responded to the 100 block of Jethro Street in North East for a house fire.

Officials with the Office of the State Fire Marshal said The occupants were attempting to deep fry a chicken and when placing the whole chicken into the pot, grease ignited.

The occupant of the home removed the flaming pot from the stove and during his attempt to remove it from the home he traveled through the living room where he tripped, igniting combustibles within the room, officials said.

Thirty-five firefighters brought the blaze under control after about 20 minutes. The fire was contained to the living room with extensive smoke, soot and water damage throughout the first floor. The damage is estimated at $20,000.

Officials remind people to deep-fry poultry outdoors in cookware designed specifically for the purpose of deep-frying and are reminded to use the manufacturer’s recommendations including completely defrosting and drying the chicken/turkey and do not overfill the fryer.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →