Accidental Apartment Fire Injures Woman, 3-Year-Old Friday

The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office has determined that Friday evening’s building fire in New Castle that injured two people was accidental, according to Michael Chionchio Assistant State Fire Marshal.

Chionchio said at 5:30 the Christiana Fire Company was alerted to a building fire in the 2100 block of Stonebridge Boulevard in the Sophie’s Place East Apartments. Upon their arrival, firefighters encountered an active fire inside the unit. Two occupants, a 32-year-old female and her 3-year-old son, were transported to the Christiana Hospital for smoke inhalation. Both patients were listed in stable condition and were being held for observation.

State fire investigators were called to the fire scene. The fire originated inside the kitchen and was caused by the ignition of cooking oil on the stovetop.

Heavy fire damage was estimated at $35,000. Smoke alarms operated inside the unit.

Facebook Comments

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →