Fire At Independent Living Facility Sends Several To Hospital

File

Subscribe

The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office has determined that yesterday’s fire in Wilmington, Delaware was accidental, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.

Chionchio said the blaze, reported shortly before 5:00 pm, occurred at 1912 Marsh Road in the Forwood Manor Independent Living facility. The Claymont Fire Company along with mutual aid fire companies responded to the alarm. An 84-year-old male resident was transported to the Christiana Hospital for burns. He was listed in stable condition. Several other occupants were transported to area hospitals to undergo medical evaluations.

State fire investigators were called to the scene. The fire occurred in the kitchen of an independent living unit when cooking oil erupted in flames while heating on the stovetop. The fire was contained by the use of a fire extinguisher.

Fire damage was estimated at $5,000.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →