Investigators Say Middletown House Fire Was An Accident, $500K In Damage

Subscribe

The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office has determined that this afternoon’s house fire in Middletown DE., was accidental, according to Delaware State Fire Marshal Chief Deputy Robert Fox.

Fox said the Volunteer Hose Company of Middletown was alerted to a fire in the unit block of Berton Court in the Estates of Cedar Lane Development shortly after 6:30 this morning. Upon the arrival of the Fire Department, they found heavy fire conditions coming from an unoccupied residential house. Several Fire Companies responded to assist.

Deputies from the State Fire Marshal’s Office responded to the scene and have determined that the fire originated on the first floor of the residence and was caused by an electrical malfunction of the house’s fixed wiring.

The fire caused approximately 500,000 dollars in damage to the residence. No one was injured during the fire.

Breaking Report

Middletown – At around 6:30 Tuesday morning firefighters from across New Castle County responded to the unit block of Berton Court, in the Estates at Cedar Lane community, for reports of a house fire.

Officials, still on scene investigating as of12:00 Tuesday, have not released their official report at this point. We do know that several State Fire Marshals and the ATF were on scene investigating.

Estates at Cedar Lane saw many homes damaged by last week’s tornado. Officials on scene were unclear if this home sustained tornado damage as Isaias moved through on Wednesday.

We will update this story when more information becomes available.

 

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →