Follow Us On

Family Displaced After Early Morning House Fire In Camden

A fire that heavily damaged a Camden home early this morning was determined to be accidental by the Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.

Chionchio said the blaze, reported shortly after 3:00 am, occurred in the 200 block of Steeles Ridge Road near Woodside. The Camden-Wyoming Fire Company along with neighboring mutual aid fire companies battled the flames.

Deputy fire marshals reported to the scene. and determined that the fire originated on the home’s rear exterior deck when discarded fireplace ashes ignited household items on the deck engulfing the exterior of the occupied dwelling. Three occupants of the home escaped unharmed.

Heavy fire damage was estimated at $500,000. There were no reported injuries. The family of four has been displaced.

A video of the fire can be viewed here.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →