Man Killed In Accident, One Arrested

Wilmington – The Delaware State Police Collision Reconstruction Unit is continuing their investigation into a fatal crash that occurred north of Wilmington earlier today, according to Director of Public Information Sergeant Richard D. Bratz.

Bratz said that at around 9:46 a.m., Thursday, November 24, 2016, as a 2002 Volkswagen Passat, operated by 60 year old male from West Virginia, whose name is being withheld pending notification of next of kin, was traveling northbound on I-95 in the right lane north of Marsh Road.

A 2001 BMW 325 allegedly operated by Gregory Delva, 39 of Wilmington, was reportedly traveling in the same area at a high rate of speed and in a reckless manner, according to Bratz. Bratz went on to say that as the BMW tried to pass the Passat, Gregory Delva failed to give enough space when moving from the right lane to the left lane, as a result the front of the BMW clipped the rear corner of the Passat on I-95 northbound north of Marsh Road.

After impact both vehicles began to rotate and the BMW traveled off of the highway through a grass area that separated the lanes of I-95 northbound from the on-ramp from Marsh Road, said Bratz.

The Passat struck the raised curb and overturned onto its roof before traveling over the on-ramp lane and striking a metal light pole.  The BMW spun after the initial impact and also traveled over the grass area before coming to a stop on the on-ramp lane.

The operator of the Volkswagen Passat sustained serious injuries and it is unknown if he was properly restrained. He was declared deceased at the collision scene.

Gregroy Delva was transported back to Troop 1 where he was charged with Vehicular Homicide 1st, Reckless Driving and Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol. He was arraigned before Justice of the Peace Court 11 and was released on a $6,500.00 unsecured bond.

The Collision Reconstruction Unit is continuing their investigation into this incident. One lane of I-95 northbound and on-ramp from Marsh Road was closed for approximately three hours while the crash was investigated and cleared.

Image Credits: File