Maryland, Delaware Police Shoot Man After Police Car Is Crashed Off The Road

Ocean View – The Delaware State Police are currently investigating an officer involved shooting that occurred late Saturday night near Ocean View,according to  Public Information Officer, Master Corporal Gary Fournier.

Fournier said that around 10:13 p.m. Saturday March 18, 2017 Ocean View Police officer became involved in a vehicle pursuit while assisting Maryland Deputies from the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office.

The officer and Deputies were pursuing an Infinity SUV as it drove down Burbage Road and crossed over Windmill Drive onto Pine Grove Lane, which is a dead end road, according to Fournier.

The driver of the SUV then came to a stop at the end of the road and accelerated backwards at a high speed directly into the front of the fully marked Ocean View Police Officer’s patrol vehicle, pushing it off the roadway, said Fouriner.

The Infiniti continued backing at a high rate of speed almost striking a fully marked Deputy Sheriff’s vehicle and smashed into a mailbox where it momentarily stopped, Fournier added. The SUV then drove forward and entered into an empty residential lot where it turned around and began driving toward a Sheriff Deputy that was standing outside of his vehicle in the driveway of the lot.

Fournier said that the Ocean View officer was able to exit his patrol vehicle and run up to where the Deputy was standing as the SUV accelerated toward the two law enforcement officers who were yelling commands to stop, according to Fournier. Both the officer and the Deputy fired multiple rounds at the Infinity before the operator came to a stop in a private driveway in the 36000 block of Pine Grove Lane.

The officer and Deputies removed the suspect, who is described as a 31-year-old Hurlock, Maryland man, from the SUV and rendered first aid until the arrival of EMS. The suspect was then transported to an area hospital where he is currently admitted in serious condition. His name is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

The officer was also transported to an area hospital by EMS where he was treated and released with non-life-threatening injuries he sustained in the collision.

The Deputy Sheriff was uninjured in the incident.

The investigation into this incident is being conducted by the Delaware State Police Homicide Unit and is in its early stages. More information will be released as it becomes available.