Bellefonte – The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office has determined that this morning’s fire in Bellefonte, Delaware was accidental, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael G. Chionchio.
Chionchio said the blaze, reported shortly after 10:30 am, occurred in the unit block of Wier Avenue in the Hillcrest development. The Brandywine Hundred Fire Company arrived on the scene with flames shooting from the dwelling.
State fire investigators were called to the scene to conduct the investigation. The fire originated inside a first floor sun room when a burning candle ignited a couch causing a fire to erupt on the first floor, according Chionchio. All occupants were able to flee without injury.
Heavy fire damage was estimated at $20,000. Smoke alarms inside the home activated and sounded the alarm throughout the home. No injuries were reported.