Happening Now: Crews Rushing To Claymont House Fire


Claymont-Area – The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal determined that this evening’s fire that damaged a north Wilmington, Delaware house was accidental.

The Claymont Fire Company responded to 9-1-1 calls reporting a house on fire shortly before 7:00 pm in the unit block of West Dale Road in the Northfield development. Firefighters encountered an active fire inside the home.

State fire investigators were called to the scene to determine the fire’s origin and cause. The fire originated on the stove top when a stove control knob was inadvertently turned on igniting a cardboard box that had been placed on top of the stove.

Fire damage was estimated at $5,000. There were no reported injuries.

Original Breaking Report

Claymont – Firefighters from around New Castle County and Delaware County, PA are converging on the 10 blk of W Dale Road for reports of a house fire.

Arriving crews have reported smoke showing. Crews are now laying lines and charging the hydrant.

Station 13, Claymont has assumed Claymont Command.  Crews are inside the house knocking down the fire checking for extension to adjoining areas of the home.

Crews have brought the fire under control and opening the house up looking for fire. Claymont command is asking the crews from Pennsylvania to cover Brandywine Hundred’s district while they are working the fire.

All fire is out. No other fire found in any other areas of the home. Fire was contained to the first floor.

If you have photos of this fire please message us on our Facebook page.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at [email protected].

View all posts by Staff Writer →