YMCA Murder Suspect Identified, He Was Escorted From Middle School Minutes Before Slaying

Easton Police are investigating a homicide that took place at the Talbot County YMCA, 202 Peachblossom Ave, Easton, Md.

Easton, Md. – At around 7:40 Thursday morning,  June 6, 2019,  Easton Police Officers responded to Easton Middle School for reports that a man, later identified as Andre LaMont Price Jefferson, 31, Easton, had entered the school and was acting strangely.

While en route officers learned that school staff had escorted Jefferson out of the building but did not see where he went. Officers searching the area could not locate Jefferson as they searched the area.

Just before 8:00 am, dispatchers received a call that an altercation was occurring at the Talbot County YMCA across the street from the school.

Upon their arrival, officers located Jefferson, laying on the lobby floor, medics described him as having seizure-like symptoms. The victim, identified as  Joseph Cassidy, 72, Easton, was located on the floor of the men’s locker room, suffering from serious stab wounds. He was reportedly being given CPR prior to the officer’s arrival.

Cassidy was transported by ambulance to the University of Maryland Easton Hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries.

Jefferson was treated at the same hospital and is now in police custody at the police department.

Police said their investigation has revealed that an altercation occurred in the men’s locker where Jefferson caused the injuries that resulted in the death of the Cassidy.

The motive and any known relationship between the males are still under investigation, officials said.

Investigators spent much of the morning interviewing witnesses and processing the crime scene, said  Capt. Gregory S. Wright.

The Talbot County YMCA will remain closed for the rest of the day. Officials there said that they will announce plans to re-open through their website and social media.

The Talbot County Public School District sent a  notice to parents alerting them that the man police are calling a person of interest was escorted from the school just before the YMCA incident.

The Talbot County Department of Emergency Services assisted with facilitating access to grief counselors to those affected.

Shore Beacon News contributed to this report.


About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →