Two Charged After Police Pursuit, Crash In Newark

On Wednesday afternoon, December 4, 2019, at about 2:10, two Newark Police Officers were working in a plainclothes capacity when they observed a vehicle driving around the area of Library Avenue and Wyoming Road in Newark, according to Lt Andrew Rubin.

Rubin said the officers observed the vehicle drive into a nearby parking lot and one of the occupants approached several vehicles in the parking lot. The vehicle was then observed driving through another nearby parking lot.

Image may contain: outdoor

The officers requested a marked unit to make a stop. As the marked unit attempted the stop the suspicious vehicle in the area of Marrows and Ogletown Roads,  the vehicle fled from the officer.

Shortly after the vehicle fled it crashed a short distance away at the intersection of Library Avenue and Ogletown Road.

During the crash, the Newark Free Library sign and a traffic signal box sustained damaged. The suspects then fled on foot and were caught a short distance away after a brief foot chase.

Once taken into custody, the driver, Jesse Dungan, 31, of Charlestown, Maryland, was treated for injuries suffered during the incident. The passenger,  identified as Amanda Grove, 30, of Newark was also arrested.

Rubin said further investigation at the scene revealed that the suspects had attempted to steal a catalytic converter from a parked vehicle. A search of the suspect vehicle yielded narcotic pills and hypodermic needles.

The suspects were transported to Newark Police headquarters where they were each charged with:

Attempted Theft
Criminal Mischief
Possession of a Narcotic Schedule III Controlled Substance
Resisting Arrest
Conspiracy 3rd Degree
Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
Trespass 3rd Degree

In addition, Grove was charged with Disregarding a Police Officer’s Signal, Reckless Driving, and multiple other traffic offenses.

The suspects appeared before Justice of the Peace Court #2 by video. Grove was ordered to be held in default of $3607 cash bail and Dungan was ordered to be held in default of $3000 cash bail. Grove was turned over to the custody of the Baylor Women’s Correctional Institution in New Castle and Dungan was turned over to the Howard R Young Correctional Institution in Wilmington.