Seven-Year-Old Saves Sibling, Calls 911 During Caravel Hunt House Fire

File Photo

The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office has determined that this afternoon’s house fire in Bear, DE was accidental, according to Chief Deputy Delaware State Fire Marshal Robert Fox.

Fox said the Christiana Fire Company was alerted to a fire in the 200 block of Rice Drive, in the neighborhood of Caravel Hunt shortly after 1:00 pm. Upon the arrival of the Fire Department, there was heavy fire and smoke coming from the rear of the residence. Multiple companies were called to the scene to assist.

Deputies from the State Fire Marshal’s Office responded to the scene to conduct an investigation. Investigators determined that the fire originated in the rear of the residence in an enclosed porch and was caused by a malfunction in a pellet stove, said Fox.

A 91-year-old female was seriously injured in the fire and was treated on scene by Christiana Fire Company EMS and New Castle County Paramedics. She was transported to Christiana and transferred to Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia for further treatment.

Several other occupants of the residence have been displaced and are staying with family. Smoke detectors were present and did activate and alert the occupants. A 7-year-old boy in the home is credited with calling 911 and saving a smaller sibling from a second-floor bedroom, and then attempting to save the injured woman.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →