Lewes- Delaware State Police are investigating a fatal ATV crash that occurred Tuesday evening, according to Public Information Officer, Master Corporal Heather Pepper.
Pepper said on April 6, 2021, at approximately 6:47 p.m., a John Deere Gator ATV was traveling northbound on a private asphalt driveway located off of Robinsonville Road. The operator attempted to negotiate a left curve at a high rate of speed, at which time the ATV began skidding and exited the east edge of the driveway, according to Pepper. As it slid off the roadway, it began to overturn, striking a tree and coming to rest on its roof.
The John Deere Gator is a side-by-side ATV, equipped with two passenger seats with seatbelts and a rear utility bed. At this time, the seating positions of the five occupants riding on the ATV are unknown due to the ongoing investigation. All occupants were ejected from the ATV as it overturned.
A 16-year-old female of Delaware was pronounced deceased at the scene. Identification is pending notification to next of kin.
A 16-year-old female of Delaware was transported by helicopter to an area hospital with serious injuries. She is in stable condition.
A 15-year-old female of Delaware was transported by helicopter to an area hospital with reported serious injuries. She is in stable condition.
A 16-year-old female of Delaware was transported to an area hospital by ambulance with minor injuries. She was treated and released.
A 17-year-old female of Delaware was transported to an area hospital by ambulance with minor injuries. She was treated and released.
Preliminary reports provided at the time of dispatch stated a deer was involved in the collision. The investigation has determined there were no deer or animals involved in this collision.
Real-time update from last evening.
- Update: Both priority patients en route to AI DuPont – One patient is believed to have succumbed to their injuries on scene – Several others transported by ground.
- Update: 7:25 – Lifenet landing now
- Update: This incident has been declared a Level 1 Mass Casualty Incident.
- Update: Pulling audio – One patient reportedly ejected from a vehicle into the water.
- Update: LifeNet has alerted Sussex that they are responding now.
- Update: Command asking for a second helo.
- Happening Now: Major Injury Accident – 21000 block of Fox Run in Lewes – Command reporting two patients in very serious condition – At least two others in serious condition – Trooper 2 is landing now – Developing
This crash remains under investigation by the Delaware State Police Troop 7 Collision Reconstruction Unit. Anyone with information regarding this collision should contact Cpl/1 Andrew Mitchell by calling 302-644-5020.