Route 1 Crossover Crash Leaves One Dead, One Hospitalized Saturday

Little Heaven – The Delaware State Police Troop 3 Collision Reconstruction Unit is investigating a fatal crash that occurred Saturday evening, according to Public Information Officer, Master Corporal Gary Fournier.

Fournier said the incident occurred around 9:11 p.m. Saturday, June 26 as a 63-year-old Rock Hall, MD man was operating a 2009 Nissan Altima southbound on Bay Road (SR1) approaching Exit 88 for Magnolia. A 25-year-old Lincoln man was operating a 2012 Ford Flex northbound on SR1 in the left lane just north of Mulberrie Point Road. A 59-year-old Newark man was operating a 2012 Toyota Camry northbound on SR1 slightly behind the Ford Flex, also in the left lane.

For undetermined reasons, the operator of the Nissan Altima failed to maintain its lane of travel and entered into the grassy median in a southeasterly direction. The Altima crossed completely through the center median and struck the left side of the Ford Flex causing the left rear wheel of the Flex to be torn from the vehicle. The driver of the Ford Flex was able to remain in control of the vehicle and come to a controlled stop on the northbound shoulder of SR1.

The Altima continued in a southerly direction striking the Toyota Camry in an off-set head-on collision. Following this second impact, the Altima redirected in an easterly direction while rotating clockwise and came to an uncontrolled stop facing east after lightly striking the guardrail. The Camry redirected into a northwesterly direction while also rotating clockwise came to a stop in the median facing west.

The 63-year-old male was not properly restrained and was transported to Bayhealth Kent General where he was pronounced dead. His name is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

The 25-year-old male was properly restrained and was not injured in the collision.

The 59-year-old male was properly restrained and was transported to Bayhealth Kent General where he was treated and admitted for non-life-threatening injuries.

State Route 1 northbound traffic was impacted for approximately five hours while the collision was investigated and cleared.