Carbon Monoxide Sends Five To Hospital Early Thursday

Five people found in a Middletown home are hospitalized, according to New Castle Country Paramedice Senior Sergeant Abigail Haas.

Haas said at approximately 5:36 a.m. on Thursday personnel from the Volunteer Hose Company of Middletown, just returning from another incident, received a call from the NCC Communications to respond to the 100 block of Crawford Street in Middletown for a carbon monoxide alarm.

Fire department personnel arrived in under one minute wearing self-contained breathing apparatus and utilizing gas meters. They discovered two occupants of the home in the front doorway advising three additional occupants were still on the second floor of the home. Firefighters made their way to the second floor of the home to find three additional patients: one being unresponsive. The unresponsive female was rescued by firefighters and carried down from the second floor and outside to the front porch to await EMS personnel. The firefighters returned upstairs to assist the remaining two patients out of the home.

With multiple patients, the New Castle County Paramedics and additional ambulances from Odessa and Port Penn Fire Companies also responded to the incident. A portable generator was found in an enclosed space at the rear of the home said Haas.

A total of four adults and one child were transported to Christiana Hospital in Stanton. Four of the patients were listed in stable condition with one of the adult patients listed in serious condition.