The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has determined that last night’s fire that damaged a Middletown manufacturing facility was accidental, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.
Chionchio said the blaze, reported shortly after 11:00 pm, occurred at 50 Patriot Drive in the Westown Business Park. The Volunteer Hose Company arrived on the scene with an active fire inside the battery processing section. Several mutual aid fire companies assisted at the scene
Chionchio said the fire was caused by a malfunction with mechanical equipment inside the plant. The fire suppression system did activate along with the building’s fire alarm system.
The fire was contained to the initial equipment involved in the fire. Fire damage is being accessed at this time.
There were no reported injuries.