Police Identify Pedestrian Killed In New Castle Hit-And-Run

Delaware State Police have identified the victim who died during a fatal motor vehicle collision that occurred on August 28, 2022, in the New Castle area as Jonathan Macey, 54, of New Castle, Delaware.

Original Story

Delaware State Police are investigating a fatal motor vehicle collision involving a pedestrian that occurred in the New Castle area on Sunday evening, according to Senior Corporal Leonard DeMalto.

DeMalto said on August 28, 2022, at approximately 8:14 p.m., a red 2013 Toyota Highlander was traveling westbound on Boulden Boulevard approaching the intersection at Southgate Boulevard. As the Highlander approached this intersection, a pedestrian entered the westbound lane of Boulden Boulevard and into the path of the vehicle, according to DeMalto. As a result, the front of the vehicle struck the pedestrian while he was in the roadway. After the collision, the vehicle fled the area and continued westbound said DeMalto. A short time later, an officer from the New Castle County Police Department conducted a traffic stop on the Highlander on Marrows Road north of White Chapel Drive. Both the driver and passenger were subsequently taken into custody without incident. DeMalto did not say if either the driver or passanger are facing charges.

The pedestrian involved in this incident, a 54-year-old male from New Castle, Delaware, was pronounced deceased at the scene. Identification of the victim is pending notification to the next of kin. Both the driver of the Highlander, a 30-year-old male from Baltimore, Maryland, and the passenger, a 37-year-old male from Newark, Delaware, were properly restrained. Neither occupant was injured in the collision said DeMalto.

No other vehicles were involved in this incident. The roadway was not illuminated at the time, and there are no pedestrian crosswalks in the area. The victim was wearing dark-colored clothing and did not appear to be carrying a lighted device said DeMalto. The roadway was closed for approximately three hours while the collision was being investigated and cleared.