A fire that heavily damaged a Bear-area home early this morning was investigated by the Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.
Chionchio said the fire was accidental in nature. Shortly before 1:30 am the Christiana Fire Company along with nearby mutual aid fire companies responded to the unit block of Lake Drive in the Crofton development for a 9-1-1 call of a house on fire.
Firefighters arrived on the scene with smoke pouring from the house and began their attack on the blaze.
Chionchio said two adults and two children escaped from the dwelling after being alerted by the smoke alarms. State fire investigators, called to the scene, found that the fire originated inside an in-house malfunctioning sauna located in the basement. Fire damage is expected to exceed $200,000.