$50,000 Damage In Early Morning House Fire

 

Newark – At around 7:00 am this morning, Tuesday, January 24, 2017 the Christiana Fire Company was alerted to a house fire on Salem Church Road.  A passerby notified 9-1-1 that smoke was coming from the structure. Units responding to the report found that the home was in fact on fire.

The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office also responded and has determined that the fire was accidental, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael G. Chionchio.

Chionchio said that the blaze occurred in the 500 block of Salem Church Road near the Christina Woods development.

The fire originated in the living room due to a malfunctioning portable space heater, according to Chinchio.

Chinchio went on to say that the heavy fire damage to the home was estimated to be a $50,000 loss. There were no reported injuries

No one was home when a person passing by the home noticed smoke coming from the structure.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →