Fire Causing $100K Damage to Jewelry Store was Accidental

The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office has determined that an Saturday building fire in Greenville, Delaware was accidental, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael G. Chionchio.

Chionchio said the blaze, reported shortly after 2:30 am, occurred at 4001 Kennett Pike inside the Jewelry Exchange of Delaware in the Greenville Crossing II Shopping Center. The Talleyville Fire Company responded to the fire alarm.

State fire investigators were called to the scene to conduct the investigation. The fire originated in the rear of the store when an electrical malfunction occurred involving a refrigerator. The flames were doused by an automatic sprinkler system containing the fire until firefighters arrived on the scene.

There were no reported injuries. Fire damage was estimated at $100,000.

Facebook Comments

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →