Newark House Fire Started In Kitchen, Neighbor’s Home Melted

Get alerted to breaking news when it happens. Subscribe Now

Newark – The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has determined that Friday’s,fire, that heavily damaged a Newark, Delaware home was accidental, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael G. Conchie.

Chionchio said that the blaze, reported shortly before 7:00 pm on Friday, March 24, 2017, occurred in the unit block of Montvale Drive in the Brookside Park section of Newark. The Aetna Hose, Hook and Ladder Company arrived on the scene with flames engulfing the one story dwelling.

State fire investigators were called to the scene and conducted the investigation. Chionchio said the fire started in the kitchen when cooking oil ignited on the stove top. The flames swept through the kitchen and consumed the rear deck. The intense heat from the fire melted the vinyl siding on a neighboring home.

Heavy fire damage was estimated at $200,000 total. There were no reported injuries. The American Red Cross has been asked to provide emergency assistance to the three adults and one child displaced by the fire.


Sign In For Unlimited Access

Please Log in, or sign up for a new account below to continue reading.

Register


About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →