Follow Us On

Fire Marshal’s Update On This Morning’s Bellefonte House Fire

Bellefonte – The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office has determined that this morning’s fire in Bellefonte, Delaware was accidental, according to  Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael G. Chionchio.

Chionchio said the blaze, reported shortly after 10:30 am, occurred in the unit block of Wier Avenue in the Hillcrest development.  The Brandywine Hundred Fire Company arrived on the scene with flames shooting from the dwelling.

State fire investigators were called to the scene to conduct the investigation.  The fire originated inside a first floor sun room when a burning candle ignited a couch causing a fire to erupt on the first floor, according Chionchio.  All occupants were able to flee without injury.

Heavy fire damage was estimated at $20,000.  Smoke alarms inside the home activated and sounded the alarm throughout the home.  No injuries were reported.




About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →