Newark – The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has determined that this afternoon’s fire that damaged a house in Newark, Delaware was accidental. The Aetna Hose, Hook and Ladder Company was dispatched to the alarm shortly after 12:00 pm in the unit block of Hawthorne Avenue in the development of Stafford.
An active fire was visible on the exterior of the two story dwelling. State fire investigators responded to the scene and conducted the investigation. The fire originated in a pile of discarded ashes from the home’s fireplace along the exterior side of the attached garage. The ashes ignited items also placed along the exterior of the garage. Flames spread up the exterior into the roof.
Fire damage was estimated at $35,000. There were no reported injuries.
Newark – Just after 12:00 this afternoon crews from Aetna Hose, Hook and Ladder with mutual aid from Christiana Fire, Mill Creek Fire Company – Stations 2&21, and Cranston Heights Fire Company were dispatched to the unit block of Hawthorne Ave in Stafford for a residential fire.
Arriving crews found pallets burning on the outside of the home with fire extending into the garage and attic.
Additional units from the New Castle County Paramedics, University of Delaware Emergency Care Unit, and Belvedere Fire Company also responded to the response.
The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office is handling the investigation and Deputy Chief Schall had Newark Command.
Newark Police officers were also on scene.