Dover – Beginning in the early morning hours on Sunday, February 11, 2017, Dover and the surrounding area has seen a rash of takeover-style home invasions with . During these robberies, four families have been robbed at gunpoint by varying numbers black males wearing a mask over their faces. In addition to the four robberies, another attempt was thwarted when the family dog scared off the intruders.
The latest home invasion occurred at Woodcrest Apartments on Wednesday, February 14th, according to M/Cpl. Mark Hoffman, Public Information Officer. Hoffman said police were notified of the incident at 3:25 AM.
Upon arrival, one of the male victims advised officers that he was leaving his residence at 1:30 AM when he was approached by two black male suspects as he was shutting his apartment door. Both suspects forced entry into the residence, one armed with a black and silver handgun, and demanded money after forcing the victims to lay on the floor, said Hoffman. (Read more below the map)
Click on the map icons to read about the other home invasions
The suspects then stole two XBOX game systems, jewelry, wallet, clothing, cellular phones, and vehicle keys, said Hoffman. The victims feared getting up for a period of time, believing the suspects were still in the apartment. Once they got up, they discovered their cellphones had been stolen and had to notify police using a neighbor’s phone. The suspects were described as two black males, wearing all black clothing, and wearing black masks.
Police have not publicly connected the cases but are reportedly looking at the possibility that the same group is involved with all of the incidents.
Delaware State Police are investigating the Sandalwood Drive and Kentwood Drive cases while the Dover Police are investigation the other three.