The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office has determined that this morning’s building fire in Claymont was accidental, according to Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal Robert Fox.
Fox said the Claymont Fire Company was alerted to a fire in the 900 block of Cedartree Lane in the Woodacre Apartment Complex shortly before 10:00 this morning. Fire apparatus arrived with heavy fire and smoke coming from the building, a three-story garden style apartment building.
The Incident commander quickly called for a 2nd alarm. Several companies from New Castle County and Delaware County responded to assist.
State Fire Investigators have determined that the fire originated in a third-floor apartment burned through the roof of the apartment and into the attic and was caused by unattended cooking.
The fire heavily damaged the third-floor apartments in the building. The other apartments were damaged by smoke and water. Damage would be estimated at several hundred thousand dollars, said Fox.
The Red Cross of Delmarva was on scene to assist families affected by the fire. The management will try to place victims of the fire in other apartments in the complex.
Claymont – Firefighters from across New Castle County, along with Delaware County., PA. are responding to an apartment complex in the area of Naamans Road and Peachtree Road for reports of a fire.
Originally dispatched to 902 Peachtree Road, arriving crews reported that the correct address was actually on nearby Cedartree Lane. Command reported a third floor was involved.
Crews entered the building to search for residents while simultaneously attacking the fire.
Update 10:12 am Command on the scene has asked for a fourth ladder truck.
Update 10:14 am Command has struck a second alarm.
Update 10:40 am Command is reporting that all visible fire has been knocked down. Crews remain on scene.
No reports of injuries at this time.
Residents have been displaced as a result of this fire, however, the number is not known at this time. Red Cross is assisting.