Video – Woman In Critical After Being Pulled From Newark House Fire

Subscribe

The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has determined that this morning’s fire in Newark, Delaware that heavily damaged a townhouse was accidental, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.

Chionchio said the blaze, reported shortly after 10:00 am, occurred in the unit block of Waltham Street – Kimberton. The Aetna Hose, Hook and Ladder Company arrived on the scene with a fire visible on the first floor.

State fire investigators were called to the scene to conduct the investigation. The fire started inside the first-floor living room when an electrical power cord to a portable space heater failed, igniting a couch.

A 38-year-old female occupant was removed from the home and transported to the Christiana Hospital Emergency Room suffering smoke inhalation. She is listed in critical condition.

Heavy fire damage is estimated at $150,000. The dwelling was not equipped with operating smoke alarms.

Breaking Report

Newark – Just after 10:00 this morning, firefighters from the Aetna Hose, Hook, and Ladder Fire Company, along with crews from the Christiana Fire Company, Minquas, Mill Creek and New Castle County Paramedics responded to to the unit block of Waltham Street for reports of a house fire with a person trapped.

Upon their arrival, firefighters reported fire showing from a first-floor window. As firefighters made their way around to the back of the burning structure they noticed a woman hanging out the second-floor window.

The woman was quickly rescued and transported to Christiana Hospital with undetermnined injuries.

A cat, injured in the fire, was also treated at the scene before being transporting to a nearby veterinary hospital.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →