Newport Firefighter Injured During Two-Alarm Blaze Listed In Critical Condition At Crozer Burn Center

Get alerted to breaking news when it happens. Subscribe Now

A 23-year-old firefighter from Newport’s Minquas Fire Company suffered serious burns during a two-alarm house fire on Thursday.

Just before 8:30 this morning firefighters from several New Castle County Fire Companies, the Wilmington Fire Department, along with crews from Chester County, Pennsylvania responded to a house fire at 3200 Mill Creek Road.

Upon their arrival, crews reported that smoke and flames were showing from the back of the house. Crews made entry into the home and begin their attack on the fire while simultaneously searching for occupants.

As the fire was raging, the Minquas firefighter reportedly made his way to the second floor where he fell through the floor, became trapped and suffered serious burns. A Mayday was declared and the firefighter was quickly rescued.

As he exited the home the firefighter was met by on-scene medical crews and was rushed to Christiana Hosptial. After being stabilized he was transported to Crozer Chester Burn Center in Upland, Pennsylvania, where he is listed in critical but stable condition.

After the firefighter was injured, Command ordered an evacuation of the building and an exterior attack on the fire due to the deteriorating conditions.

The Minquas Fire Company released the following statement on their Facebook page regarding the incident.

“The Rescue and Squad has just cleared a working house fire in the 3200 block of Mill Creek Rd. in Co. 21’s area. During operations, Rescue 23’s officer declared a mayday, and has since been transported to the Christiana Hospital. An update will be posted at a later time.”

The Mill Creek Fire Company released the following statement on their Facebook page regarding the incident.

“Crews from Mill Creek Fire Company and surrounding companies are on scene of a structure fire in the area of Mill Creek Road. A mayday was declared for a trapped Firefighter, that person has been rescued and the mayday has been cleared. The incident has been upgraded to a second alarm. This story will be updated as more information becomes available.”

A team of Investigators from the State Fire Marshal’s Office were called to the scene have determined that the fire originated in thefirst-floorr laundry room of the residence and was caused by an electrical/mechanical malfunction in the dryer.

The fire heavily damaged the residence and caused an estimated $250,000 in damages.

The Red Cross of Delamarva was called to the scene to assist the residents.

The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office has determined that the fire was accidental.

The Minquas Fire Company has not identified the injured firefighter so we are withholding his name.

This story is developing.


Sign In For Unlimited Access

Please Log in, or sign up for a new account below to continue reading.

Register


About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →