Authorities: Discarded Cigarette Caused Talleyville Apartment Building Fire Wednesday

File Photo

A fire that damaged a newly constructed mercantile/residential building in Talleyville, Delaware has been ruled accidental by the Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal, according to Michael Chionchio Assistant State Fire Marshal.

Chionchio said the Talleyville Fire Company responded to the 3500 block of Silverside Road inside the Concord Plaza complex around 11:30 am for a building on fire. Firefighters arrived on the scene and found the exterior of the building on fire at ground level.

State fire marshal deputies called to the scene determined that a cigarette had been discarded in the mulch bed causing the ignition of ground cover next to the exterior of the mercantile/residential four-story building, according to Chionchio. The flames spread upward and outward on the building until firefighters quickly extinguished the fire.

Fire damage is estimated at $10,000. There were no reported injuries reported.


Sign In For Unlimited Access

Please Log in, or sign up for a new account below to continue reading.

Register


About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →