Follow Us On

Update: Claymont House Fire Injures Resident, Kills Several Animals

File Photo

The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office has determined that this morning’s house fire in Claymont was accidental, according to Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal Robert Fox.

Fox said the Claymont Fire Company was alerted to a fire in the unit block of Third Ave., in the Overlook Colony neighborhood, shortly before 9:30 AM. Fire apparatus arrived with heavy smoke coming from the basement and first floor of the residence and a report of a person trapped inside. Surrounding Fire Departments were called to assist.

Investigators from the State Fire Marshal’s Office were called to the scene to conduct an investigation. Investigators determined that the fire originated in the basement of the residence and was caused by an electrical malfunction.

The fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damages. A 47-year-old male occupant of the residence was injured and transported to Crozer Medical Center in Upland, Pennsylvania. He is reported in stable condition with minor burns and smoke inhalation.

Several animals perished in the fire, said Fox. Delaware State Animal Control arrived to handle the remaining pets.

No other injuries were reported.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →