Fire Heavily Damages Residential Building In Rehoboth Beach

Subscribe

The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has determined that this morning’s fire in Rehoboth Beach that heavily damaged a building was accidental, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.

Chionchio said the blaze, reported around 3:00 am, occurred in the unit block of Olive Avenue. The Rehoboth Beach Volunteer Fire Company responded to the fire with mutual aid from several surrounding companies.

Arriving crews found smoke showing from the top floor with occupants evacuating the building. Firefighters with assistance from Lewes, Bethany Beach, Milton, and Indian River brought the fire under control in about an hour. All units were released at around 5:00 Friday morning.

State fire investigators, called to the scene to conduct the investigation, found that the fire originated inside the 3rd floor unit when an electrical malfunction occurred in ceiling lights. No one was home inside the 3rd floor unit, however, the building’s fire alarm system did notify the occupants in unit 1. Unit 2 was not occupied.

Heavy fire damage was estimated at $150,000. There were no reported injuries.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →