Saturday House Fire Displaces Residents In Newark

The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has determined that a fire in Newark, Delaware that damaged a home was accidental, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.

Chionchio said the blaze, reported shortly before 1:00 pm, occurred in the unit block of Gilbert Court inside the Whispering Pines development.  Aetna Hose, Hook and Ladder arrived on the scene with smoke pouring from the two-story townhouse.

Crews made their way into the home and made access to the basement where the found a washer and dryer fire. That fire was quickly knocked down, however, the fire had extended other areas of the home. Crews worked for just over thirty minutes before Aetna Chief Andrew Bowerson placed the incident under control.

State fire investigators called to the scene said the fire originated inside the basement and was caused by a malfunctioning clothes dryer.  No injuries were reported. The American Red Cross is on the scene to provide emergency assistance to those in need.  Reports from the scene indicate that the Red Cross was originally alerted to assist at least four people, including two children.

Heavy fire damage was estimated at $250,000.  Smoke alarms inside the home alerted the occupants to the fire.

Facebook Comments

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →