One In Custody, One In The Hospital After String Of Burglaries

Hartly – The Delaware State Police have arrested one of two suspects involved in a mid-morning burglary that occurred Wednesday, according to Public Information Officer, Master Corporal Gary Fournier.

Sean M Gardner
Sean M Gardner

Fournier said that at around 9:32 a.m. Wednesday January 25, 2017 when troopers responded to the 3000 block of Arthursville Road for a report of two suspects attempting to break into a house. Two subjects fled the scene and were seen leaving in a black Chrysler 300 and a description of the vehicle was broadcast over the radio to the responding troopers, said Fournier.

Fournier said that within 15 minutes troopers located the vehicle parked in the driveway of a residence located in the 200 block of Slaughter Station Road. Upon the troopers arrival, the two suspect were also seen attempting to break into that home, according to Fournier.

Troopers began a foot pursuit with the two suspects, who at one point, attempted to steal a pick-up truck from a residence in the unit block of Tack Shop Lane, but were eventually captured without further incident after the Delaware State Police Aviation Unit (Trooper 4) observed them in a wooded area near the 500 block of Proctors Purchase Road, said Fournier.

Through further investigation it was revealed that the same two subjects had been involved in other burglaries in the Vandyke Greenspring Road and Sawmill Road areas of Townsend earlier this week, said Fournier.

Sean M. Gardner, 28 of Smyrna, was arrested for three counts of Attempted Burglary 2nd, Burglary 2nd, Theft of a Motor Vehicle, four counts of Theft of a Firearm, three counts of Possession of Burglar Tools, five counts of Conspiracy 2nd, Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony, four counts of Possession of a Firearm by a Person Prohibited, three counts of Criminal Mischief, Criminal Trespass, and Theft. He was arraigned at JP2 and committed to James T. Vaughn Correctional Center on $156,301.00 secured bond.

The second suspect has yet to be charged as he was admitted to an area hospital with an unrelated medical condition.

Image Credits: Delaware State Police