Officials Update Cause Of Newark House Fire

Newark – The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office has determined that this morning’s House fire in Newark, DE. was accidental.

The Aetna Hose Hook and Ladder Company of Newark responded to the 400 block of Stafford Avenue in the neighborhood of Prestwick Farms shortly before 3:00 am for a report of a house fire. Upon arrival the Fire Department found heavy smoke and fire coming from a single family dwelling.

Deputy Fire Marshal’s were called to the scene and have determined that the fire was accidental and originated on the first floor. The cause of the fire was a malfunction in a window air conditioner.

The fire caused approximately $10,000 damage to the residence. No injuries were reported. The residents will be staying with family.

Original Release

Newark – (Prestwick Farms) At approximately 3:00 am this morning firefighters from Newark’s Aetna Hose, Hook and Ladder, along with crews from the Christiana Fire Company responded to the 400 blk of Stafford Avenue for reports of a house fire.

Arriving crews found fire showing from the attic and quickly began working to knock the fire down.  Crews worked for approximately two hours before calling the scene under control. No injuries were reported.

Crews from the Belvedere Fire Company responded to Station 9 on Academy Street to cover Newark while Aetna worked the fire.

The Prestwick Farms neighborhood is located near the intersection of Cleveland Avenue and Route 72 (Capitol Trail).



Image Credits: Aetna Hose, Hook and Ladder

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at [email protected].

View all posts by Staff Writer →