Grandmother Injured During Sunday’s Fire In Wilmington Succumbs To Her Injuries


Wilmington – The Wilmington Fire Department informed us today that the grandmother in Sunday’s fire has succumbed to her injuries. “It is with sadness the Wilmington Fire Department confirms the death of Fay Hyland, 59, the second victim to succumb to injuries resulting from the house fire. “, said Battalion Chief John Looney. 

Fay Hyman was initially transported and stabilized at the Christiana Hospital before being transferred to the Chester-Crozer Medical Center.

“The Wilmington Fire Department expresses their condolences to the Hyman and Williams families.”


Wilmington – Last night at 7:14 PM the Wilmington Fire Department responded to a residential structure fire with a report of three residents trapped inside, according to Lieutenant Andrew JE Cavanaugh.

Cavanaugh said Fire Department units arrived on scene and began an aggressive fire attack while simultaneously searching for the trapped residents. Crews quickly located Fay Hyland, 59-year-old grandmother; Maurice Williams, 11-month-old; and Isaac Williams, 3-week-old; all on the second floor of the residence. Crews removed all three and transferred them to awaiting emergency medical personnel.

Fay Hyland was rushed to the Christiana Hospital in critical condition with burns to 70% of her body. She was later transferred to the Crozer-Chester Medical Center’s Burn Unit in Upland, PA. Isaac and Maurice were rushed to the Nemours Alfred I. DuPont Hospital for Children in critical condition. Unfortunately, Maurice Williams succumbed to his injuries last night. Isaac Williams was transferred to the St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children in Philadelphia, PA and is listed in critical but stable condition.

A fourth resident, who was home at the time of the fire, Nashon Hyland, 17-years-old, jumped from his second floor bedroom escaping the fire prior to the fire department’s arrival. He is currently being treated at the Nemours Alfred I. DuPont Hospital for Children and is listed in stable condition.

The incident was placed under control at 8:25 PM by Chief of Fire Michael Donohue. At this time the Wilmington Fire Marshal’s office, with assistance from the State of Delaware Fire Marshal’s office, is still investigating the cause of the fire. The incident is listed as – Under Investigation. Preliminary findings are indicating the residence did not have any working smoke detectors.


Wilmington – Just before 7:15 last night Wilmington Firefighters on the C platoon were alerted to a residential structure fire reported with three residents trapped inside. Upon arrival of fire department units, crews found fire showing from the first and second floor of the residence, according to Lieutenant Andrew JE Cavanaugh.

Cavanaugh said crews immediately stretched hose line and began an aggressive fire attack. A simultaneous search of the residence was conducted. Crews located three residents inside, on the second floor and quickly worked to remove them to awaiting emergency medical personnel. One adult female was transported to the Christiana Hospital in critical condition with severe burns.

Two children were transported to the AI DuPont Hospital for children in critical condition. One resident has unfortunately succumbed to their injuries. At this time no further information is available on the victims, pending family notifications.

Authorities are expected to release more information this morning.

Approximately 40 fire and EMS personnel responded to the fire. The following units responded: Squad 4, Engine 1, Squrt 3, Engine 5, Ladder 1, Ladder 2, Battalion-1, Battalion-2, F-1, Deputy 2, Deputy 3, Battalion-12, F9, Wilmington Fire Marshals, Delaware State Fire Marshals, St. Francis EMS, New Castle County Paramedics, Wilmington Licenses and Inspections, Delmarva Power and Light.