Newark Police Charge Man With Firing Gun Near UD Campus, Governor Carney Event

The Newark Police have arrested 18-year-old Kyle Wallace of New Castle for the shot fired incident on Wednesday May 30, 2018, that occurred in the 400 block of Wollaston Avenue.

The investigation began just after 1:30, when Newark Police Officers responded to the scene for a report of a fight between several subjects.

Police said during the fight, a male suspect fired one round from a handgun. No one was struck by the gunfire.

Several subjects then fled in a navy-blue Ford Fusion, according to Bryda. A be on the lookout (BOLO) description was put out to area police agencies in an attempt to locate the vehicle.

[media-credit name=”Wallace” align=”aligncenter” width=”799″][/media-credit]

Officers were later able to identify the suspect and secured an arrest warrant for Wallace, according to Sgt. Gerald J. Bryda.

Byrda said a New Castle County Police Officer conducted a traffic stop earlier today, where Wallace was taken into custody without incident.

At around 1:00 this afternoon a tow-truck, escorted by Newark Police, removed the navy-blue Ford Fusion from the Highland West development in Pike Creek and transported it to police headquarters.

Yesterday’s gunfire rang out at approximately the same time that Delaware Governor , John Carney, along with several other dignitaries, were attending a groundbreaking ceremony for the new Newark train station, just 300 yards away. University of Delaware and Newark Police already assigned to the event stood by during the ceremony.

Police said that one female sustained a minor injury during the fight. Aetna Hose, Hook, and Ladder responded to the scene but it’s not clear if the patient was transported.

UD Students and staff were alerted to the incident via the  alert system and social media.

Wallace has been charged with Aggravated Menacing, Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony, Reckless Endangerment 1st Degree, Disorderly Conduct and Conspiracy 3rd Degree.

Wallace is currently in custody at Newark Police Headquarters and is awaiting arraignment on the listed charges.

The investigation is still ongoing.