Newark Police Say KFC Robbery Was Staged By Manager, Boyfriend, Both In Custody

Newark – On April 8, 2018, a robbery was reported at the KFC located at 1365 Marrows Rd in Newark, DE. Tiwain Canty was charged on that date for the offense.

Subsequent investigation by Newark Police Detectives revealed that the robbery was staged by the manager of the restaurant, Briana Aiken-Lowry, 21, of Newark, who set-up the robbery with Canty, according to Newark Police Lieutenant Andrew Rubin.

Rubin said Aiken-Lowry arranged with Tiwain Canty, her boyfriend, that he would enter the restaurant to commit the robbery at the same time she was counting the money. Additional employees were present and unaware of the plan and fled in fear from the restaurant. No one was injured as a result of the incident.

[media-credit name=”Aiken-Lowry” align=”aligncenter” width=”480″][/media-credit]

On May 11, 2018, Aiken-Lowry was arrested at her residence without incident by Newark Police Detectives. Aiken-Lowry appeared before Justice of the Peace Court #2 and was ordered held on $3,100 secured bail. Aiken-Lowry is being held at Newark PD at the time of this release pending posting of her bail.

Aiken-Lowry faces charges of:

Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony (2 counts)
Aggravated Menacing (2 counts)
Providing a False Statement to Law Enforcement

Theft Under $1500
Conspiracy 2nd
Falsely Reporting an Incident


Original Story

Newark – On Sunday April 8, 2018 at approximately 9:30 p.m. the Newark Police responded to the KFC located at 1365 Marrow Road for a report of an armed robbery of the business, according to Sgt. Gerald Bryda.

Bryda said as the robbery was being broadcast over police radio, a University of Delaware police officer who was in the area, heard the call and observed a subject sprinting on foot away from the area of the KFC.

The University officer drove and caught up to the subject and then engaged in a foot pursuit, apprehending the subject near Marrows Road and Wyoming Road. The subject taken into custody was identified as Tiwain Canty a 24-year-old male from Wilmington, said Byrda.

Newark officers responding to the KFC learned from an employee that a male suspect entered wearing a ski mask and gloves, displayed a small handgun and demanded money, according to Byrda.

An undisclosed amount of money was then stolen, after which the suspect fled from the store on foot. Officers conducting a search of the area where the foot pursuit and apprehension took place, were able to locate items linking Canty to the robbery, said Byrda.

Tiwain Canty was charged with:

Robbery 1st Degree
Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony
Possession of a Firearm by a Person Prohibited (2 counts)
Aggravated Menacing
Wearing a Disguise During the Commission of a Felony
Resisting Arrest
Hindering Investigation of a Felony

Canty was arraigned through Justice of the Peace Court #2 and issued $3,100 secured bond.

Anyone with additional information about the incident is asked to contact Detective Gerasimov at [email protected] or 302-366-7100 ext. 3474.

More Photos Below

Breaking Report

You can send an anonymous text message tip by texting 302NPD and your message to TIP411. Information can also be provided anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1‐800‐TIP‐3333 or via the internet at where a reward may be available.

Newark – Just after 9:20 last evening, Sunday, April 8, Officers with the University of Delaware Police, along with Officers from the Newark Police Department (NPD) responded to the Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC), located at 1365 Marrows Road, for reports of an armed robbery in progress.

Responding units were alerted to the suspect’s description and advised that he may be armed with a handgun, according to reports. As officers converged on the area, it’s believed that a University of Delaware Officer spotted the suspect, near the intersection at Marrows Road and Wyoming Road, and was able to take the 25-year-old man into custody.

Shortly after the suspect was taken into custody, he reportedly became physically ill. After being evaluated at the scene, he was then transported to Christana Hospital by Aetna, Hose, Hook, and Ladder’s A-8 ambulance crew, with Newark Police accompanying.

It’s believed that the suspect was released from the hospital sometime this morning and that he was then transported to NPD Headquarters for processing.

More information will be provided as it becomes available.