Shortly after 5:30 this morning Wilmington Firefighters, on the A Platoon, were alerted to a residential structure fire at 127 Stroud Street, according to Battalion Chief John M. Looney.
Looney said reports received by the 911 Center indicated a fire on the first floor. Upon arrival of Incident Commander, Battalion Chief Richard Danner, an initial report of smoke showing from the first floor of the middle of the row dwelling was given.
Firefighters from Engine 1 quickly advanced a hose line into the structure and contained the fire to the room of origin. Simultaneously, crews from Ladder 2 and Squad 4 began a search of all levels of the structure and found no one inside. It was confirmed that all residents were outside upon fire department arrival.
Battalion Chief Danner placed the scene under control at approximately 5:50 AM. There were no civilian injuries; however, one firefighter suffered a broken left foot while performing ventilation operations, said Looney. That firefighter was transported to the St. Francis Hospital.
The Wilmington Fire Marshal’s Office completed an investigation and determined the fire was accidental/unattended cooking. The residence was determined uninhabitable and the Wilmington Licenses and Inspections were notified.
Approximately 30 fire and EMS personnel responded to the fire. The following units responded: Engine 1, Engine 6, Squad 4, Engine5, Ladder 2, Battalion-2, Battalion-1, St. Francis EMS, New Castle County Medics, Wilmington Licenses & Inspections, and DP&L.