Troopers: Two Newark Men Killed In Route 1 Crash

Bear – The Delaware State Police Collision Reconstruction Unit is continuing to investigate a crash on State Route 1 in Bear Monday night that has claimed the lives of two Newark men, according to Public Information Officer, Master Corporal Michael Austin.

Austin said the initial investigation has determined that at approximately 7:27 p.m., Monday, November 19, 2018was a 2013 Cadillac CTS, being driven by Miles W. Hunt, 28, of Newark, was traveling SR 1 northbound in the area of DE Rt. 72 (Wrangle Hill Rd.), at an apparent high rate of speed.

As the vehicle continued northbound from RT. 72, on a straight stretch of roadway, Hunt lost control of the vehicle at which time it struck a guardrail in the center median of SR 1, according to Austin. After impacting the guardrail the Cadillac went airborne, striking the support beam of an overhead road sign, which caused the vehicle to be split in half. The rear portion of the Cadillac was projected into the southbound lanes of SR 1 along with other parts of the vehicle which created a debris field in the roadway.

Miles W. Hunt and his passenger, 25-year-old James P. Warrington 2nd, also of Newark, were both pronounced deceased at the scene.

Austin said a 2016 Chevy Traverse, operated by a 57-year-old New Castle woman, and a 2019 Subaru XV Cross, driven by a 23-year-old Middletown woman, traveling on SR 1 southbound struck the debris in the roadway, causing disabling damage to both of their vehicles.

Both the north and southbound lanes of SR 1 were closed intermittently over a 5-hour span while the scene was investigated. The roadway completely reopened at approximately 12:35 a.m.

It’s believed that a third patient was evaluated at the scene but was not transported. It’s unclear if that patient was one of the drivers that struck the debris.

Breaking Report

Bear – Just before 7:30 this evening rescue crews from the Delaware City Fire Company responded to Route 1 SB  just north of the School House Road for a rollover crash with entrapment.

Upon arrival, Command alerted Trooper 4 (Delaware State Police Aviation) that they will be utilized for transport.

Shortly thereafter crews reported that two patients had succumbed to their injuries.

Crews report that a third patient would be transported by ground ambulance.

Crews have closed the roadway in both directions but we’re hearing reports that some vehicles are getting by on the shoulders.

The Delaware State Police issued the following statement a few minutes ago:

“The Delaware State Police are on scene of a serious crash that occurred at approximately 7:27 pm., Monday, November 19,  and as a result all southbound lanes of State Route 1 are closed at DE Rt. 72.

Motorists can expect significant delays in the area and are advised to seek alternate routes of travel.

The investigation is in the early stages with further information being released as it becomes available.”