Man Gets 1 Year In Prison For Vicious Pit Bull Attack Of 4-Year-Old

On November 25, 2018, Delaware State Police responded to a report of a dog attack in Frederica.

Just after 12:30 p.m. Troopers responded to the 100 block of Fifth Street for reports that a dog had attacked a four-year-old boy. The trooper learned that Roger O. Scarborough had trespassed onto a yard on Jackson Street in Federica and stole a Pit Bull, according to police.

Troopers said Scarborough then fled with the dog, restrained only by a bungee cord, to Fifth Street where the four-year-old was on his bicycle near his residence. It was at this point the dog viciously attacked the little boy. The mother of the boy and a friend struggled to free him from the dog and were able to get the pit-bull off of the child, but only after sustaining serious injuries themselves.

The four-year-old boy was transported to the Kent General Hospital where it was determined that he had lacerations to his right shoulder, face, back of his neck, and scalp. Due to his injuries he was transported to the Nemours/Alfred I. DuPont Hospital for Children.

The boy’s mother, 39 of Frederica, was also transported to the Kent General Hospital. She was treated for two open fractures to her left hand, along with a puncture wound to her right leg.

The friend, 35, of Frederica, was transported to the Kent General Hospital where he was treated for several lacerations to his right hand.

Roger O. Scarborough, 62, of Frederica, was taken into custody by the responding Troopers and transported to Troop 3, Camden. Scarborough was charged with Reckless Endanger 1st Degree – Creates a Substantial Risk of Death to Another, two counts of Reckless Endangering 2nd Degree, Criminal Trespass 3rd Degree, and Theft.

The Pit Bull dog was turned over to the Delaware Office of Animal Welfare to be quarantined and the owner had to provide proof the dog was vaccinated against rabies.

On Friday prosecutors announced that Scarborough was sentenced to 1-year prison followed by 1 year of probation. He pled guilty to Assault Second Degree in Superior Court.