Newark Apartment Fire Causes $1,000,000 In Damage

The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office has determined that this evening’s Apartment Building fire in Newark, DE was accidental, according to Delaware State Fire Marshal Chief Deputy Robert Fox .

Fox said the Aetna Hose Hook and Ladder Company of Newark was alerted to a fire in the unit block of Country Club Drive, in the Fairfield Apartments shortly after 5:30 pm. Upon the arrival of the Fire Department there was heavy fire and smoke coming from the roof of the apartment building. Incident Command struck a second alarm which brought multiple Fire Departments to the scene to assist.

Deputies from the State Fire Marshal’s Office responded to the scene to conduct an investigation. Investigators determined that the fire originated in a third-floor apartment and was caused by candles igniting combustibles.

No injuries were reported. The fire caused approximately $1,000,000 in damage to the building. 11 apartments were damaged by the fire. The Red Cross of Delmarva responded to assist with the residents along with management from the apartment complex.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at [email protected].

View all posts by Staff Writer →