Just before 6:50, Monday evening firefighters from Aetna Hose, Hook & Ladder Company were dispatched to the unit block of Deerpath Lane in Morningside for a residential structure fire.
When crews arrived they found a two-story, single-family home with smoke showing from the front, according to Aetna Deputy Chief Jeff Sands.
Sands said the fire on the first floor was quickly controlled and searches of the structure were negative for occupants.
The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office has ruled the fire an accident, according to Chief Deputy Robert Fox Delaware State Fire Marshal.
Fox said Deputies from the State Fire Marshal’s Office determined that the fire originated in the kitchen and was caused by unattended cooking.
The fire caused approximately 10,000 dollars in damage to the residence. There were no injuries.
Firefighters with Christiana Fire, Mill Creek Fire Company – Stations 2&21, Hockessin Fire Company – Station 19, Cranston Heights Fire Company also responded to the scene or provider coverups for Aetnas district. New Castle County Paramedics also stood by the fire scene.
The displaced occupants were assisted with temporary housing through the “First Night’s On Us” partnership between Aetna and Embassy Suites Newark / Wilmington South/Homewood Suites by Hilton Newark / Wilmington South, said Sands.