Troopers: $24,000 Popeye’s Chicken Rampage Ends With Suspect Being Tased

New Castle– Delaware State Police have arrested 24-year-old Dallas J. Aiken of New Castle on felony Criminal Mischief, Resisting Arrest, and multiple other charges, Public Information Officer, Senior Corporal Heather Pepper.

Pepper said on June 28, 2020, at approximately 7:45 p.m., troopers were dispatched to Popeyes Chicken located at 1505 N. DuPont Hwy, New Castle, for a reported disorderly subject inside the store. Upon arrival, the investigation revealed Aiken entered the business and began acting disorderly when asked to leave because patrons were not allowed inside the store due to Covid-19 restrictions.

He refused to leave and began overturning multiple tables and chairs inside the dining area of the restaurant. After several minutes Aiken appeared to be exiting the business but reentered and approached the counter where a 17-year-old female employee was standing. Aiken approached the employee and shoved the cash register sitting on the counter at her, causing it to hit her in the chest then continued pushing additional items off the counter, including a second register and numerous delivery bags, said Pepper.

Aiken eventually left but returned approximately five minutes later with a drink in his hand. As he entered the store, he threw the drink at the counter before jumping over the counter and entering the kitchen area. While in the kitchen area, Aiken threw and overturned multiple pieces of equipment and food products, causing damage to them. During the entire incident, there were five other employees inside Popeyes working.

When Aiken returned to the business, the 17-year-old employee and a 16-year-old employee were in fear for their safety and locked themselves in the business office. The other four employees fled the restaurant through a rear door because they feared for their safety. Aiken eventually fled the business on foot and was located by troopers in the back parking lot of Walgreens located at 1413 N DuPont Hwy, New Castle. When troopers contacted Aiken, he became very confrontational and refused to comply with troopers’ commands. After being given multiple opportunities to comply with the trooper’s commands Aiken was taken into custody after being tased by a trooper. Aiken was transported to an area hospital where he was treated and released.

The total loss to the business caused by Aiken was approximately $24,000.00.

Aiken was transported to Troop 2 and charged with the following crimes:

Criminal Mischief with Damage Over $5,000.00 (felony)
Resisting Arrest
Menacing (6 counts)
Offensive Touching
Disorderly Conduct
Criminal Trespass 3rd Degree
Aiken was arraigned in Justice of the Peace Court and released on a $13,000.00 unsecured bond.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at

View all posts by Staff Writer →