Investigators: Two House Fires Early Sunday Ruled Accidental

The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has determined that two house fires this morning were accidental, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.

Chionchio said the Christiana Fire Company was alerted to a residential structure fire shortly before 7:00 am in
the 1000 block of Old Forge Road in the Meadows at Wilton development near Appleby Road.

Firefighters arrived on the scene with an active fire inside the kitchen on the 2 nd floor of the three-story
townhouse.

Deputy fire marshals were called to the scene to investigate. The fire originated inside the kitchen when cooking materials were left heating on the stovetop unsupervised. Fire damage was
estimated at $10,000.

There were no reported injuries. Smoke alarms detected the fire and activated. The American Red Cross was notified to provide emergency assistance to two adults and two children.

Prior to that fire, the Brandywine Hundred Fire Company was alerted to a residential structure fire shortly before 5:00 am in the unit block of Capa Court in the Ridgewood development in Wilmington.

Upon their arrival,  firefighters encountered an active fire inside the dwelling. Deputy fire marshals determined that the fire originated inside the home when a failure occurred with an electrical extension cord.

Fire damage was estimated at $15,000. There were no reported injuries. Smoke alarms inside the house activated.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →