Man Out On Bail Charged In Tuesday’s Middletown Shooting

Middletown Police are investigating a shooting that occurred on Tuesday evening.

Officials said on June 22, 2021, at approximately 8:41 PM, the Middletown Police Department (MPD) responded to Greenlawn Blvd. and Janvier Drive in reference to a shooting that just occurred. The intended victim was not injured in this shooting. Following this incident, the MPD Criminal Investigations Unit assumed the investigation.

During the course of the investigation, Devon Custis was developed as a suspect in the shooting, according to police. As a result, on June 24, 2021, a search warrant was served at his residence in the 400 block of Toftrees Drive. During the course of this search warrant, a firearm and ammunition were recovered from the residence.

Custis was taken into custody during the execution of this search warrant and charged with Attempted Assault 1st Degree, Reckless Endangering 1st Degree (2 counts), Possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, Possession of a firearm by a person prohibited, and Possession of ammunition by a person prohibited.

Devon Custis was arraigned by the Justice of the Peace Court 2 and issued an $80,000 cash bail for the charges in this case.
At the time of this case, Custis was also currently on bail for a previous Assault 1st charge, police said. The previously issued bail, in that case, was subsequently revoked.

He was committed to the Department of Correction at Howard R. Young Correctional Institution.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →