Serpe’s Bakery Home Gutted By Fire Tuesday Morning

The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office has determined that this afternoon’s Building fire in Elsmere, DE was accidental according to Delaware State Fire Marshal Chief Deputy Robert Fox.

Fox said the Elsmere Fire Company was alerted to a fire in the 1400 block of Kirkwood Highway in Elsmere, shortly after 9:30 am. Upon arrival of the Elsmere Fire Company, there was heavy fire and smoke coming from the rear of the. Building. Multiple area fire companies were called to the scene to assist said Fox.

Deputies from the State Fire Marshal’s Office that responded to the scene determined that the fire originated in the 1st floor rear of the structure and was caused by a space heater igniting surrounding combustible.

No injuries were reported and the damage is approximately 100,000 dollars. The building is owned by Serpe’s Bakery and was being used for the storage of boxes and other materials said Fox.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at [email protected].

View all posts by Staff Writer →