Former Marine Charged In Incident At Newark Joint Reserve Base

On Wednesday afternoon at about 12:04, Newark Police responded to the United States Army Reserve Training Center at 1001 Ogletown Road for a report of an armed man in the rear parking lot, according to Lt. Andrew Rubin.

Rubin said the 911 caller reported that the man drove into the rear parking lot, placed a cover over his vehicle, and placed an ammunition can and other objects on the ground around the vehicle. The man was pacing in the parking lot while armed with a rifle and making non-threatening verbal statements according to Rubin.

Responding officers formed a perimeter around the building. Officers determined that some occupants of the building self-evacuated as police were arriving. Additional officers entered the building to ensure no one else was inside.

Officers maintained visual contact on the man, identified as Jacob Gaines, 31, of Newark. as additional officers arrived on scene. At one point, Gaines was observed disassembling the rifle and officers observed he was also armed with a handgun. Officers commanded Gaines to lay on the ground and they took him into custody without incident said Rubin.

Gaines, a former United States Marine does not have any affiliation with this facility, according to Rubin. Rubin went on to say that further investigation determined that both the rifle and handgun were loaded at the time of this incident. No shots were fired by anyone involved and no one was injured.

Gaines has been charged with:

Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony
Aggravated Menacing (2 counts)

Gaines appeared before Justice of the Peace Court #2 by video and was ordered to be held in default of $58,000 cash bail. Gaines was turned over to the custody of the Howard R. Young Correctional Institution in Wilmington.

New Castle County Police Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit responded to the scene and confirmed that the Jeep and the items around it were safe. The ammunition can was found to contain rifle ammunition.

Newark Police were also assisted at the scene by the University of Delaware Police Department, Delaware State Police, and the Delaware Department of Transportation.

Ogletown Road (SR 273), between Library Avenue (SR 72) and White Clay Center Drive, along with Marrows Road, between Ogletown Road and Wyoming Road, were both closed for about 3.5 hours during this incident.

Employees at the Honda Service center tell FSU that a man was throwing money at construction workers shortly before police arrived on scene.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at [email protected].

View all posts by Staff Writer →